Access Courses

What is an Access Course?

“an educational course enabling those without traditional qualifications to become eligible for higher education”.

The Access to Higher Education Diploma is a qualification which prepares people without traditional qualifications for study at university.  Most Access Courses require GCSE Math’s and English at grade C or above. Nursing jobs require a science subject also. 

All courses are for one year.

Access to HE courses are delivered by colleges in England and Wales, and are available in a range of different vocational subjects, such as nursing, social studies, law, and art and design.

An Access to Higher Education course is ideal for students who wish to progress on to Higher Education courses in subject areas such as Nursing, Science, Engineering, IT, Midwifery, Health Professions, Teaching, Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, Humanities, Creative Writing, Media, History, Politics, Law, Computing, Business and Management.

Colleges that deliver Access Courses:

The Manchester college - 0161 203 2100

  • Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and Medical Science
  • Nursing and Allied Health Professions
  • Teacher Training
  • IT & Computing

Trafford College - 0161 886 7070

  • Health
  • Care & Early Years
  • IT & Computing
  • Teaching

Stockport College - 0300 300 0090

  • Teaching
  • Social Work
  • Computing/ IT
  • Nursing

Tameside College - 0161 908 6600

  • Nursing and Allied Health Professions
  • Teacher Training
  • Social Work

Aquinas College - 0161 419 9163

  • Human Biology & Psychology (Health & Social Science)
  • Law/Criminology & Psychology (Humanities & Social Science)

There are also opportunities to undertake an access course through the Open University -

The Open University   - 0300 303 5303

Open University

 They offer 3 access modules -

You are advised to check material facts as although every effort has been made to ensure that information given is up to date we are aware that information is subject to change. 

The website links are used to provide further information and are not intended to signify that MAES endorses such websites and their content.